01 Sep 10 Tips for Treating Others With Respect
To show respect means to show someone (or something) admiration or to show appreciation for. Sometimes in life, it may be hard to show someone love and kindness or to show them how appreciative you are, but it is crucial for long-term growth and happiness. We may not always know how to show respect or remember to do it, so I’ve put together a list of 10 tips for treating others (and yourself) with respect. Use this as a regular reminder to treat others with respect.
10 Ways to Show Respect
- The most important person in your life is the person who agreed to share their life with you. Treat them as such. It does not matter if that person is a partner, a friend, or your parents. Treat them as a gift.
- Take care of yourself. You might live a long life, or you might live a short one — who knows. You don’t want to regret not managing your health when you get older, when you won’t be able to do anything about it.
- Stuff is just stuff. Don’t hold onto material objects. Hold on to time and experiences. Keep mementos of people and opportunities. That’s the stuff that matters.
- Jealousy destroys relationships. Trust your inner circle. If you can’t, find a new one. Without trust, what do you really have?
- People always say, “Make sure you get a job doing what you love!” But that isn’t the best advice. The right job is the job you love some days, can tolerate most days, and still pays the bills. Almost nobody has a job they love every day. Be sure to have one you love more days than not.
- If you’re getting overwhelmed by life, just return to the present moment and savour all that is beautiful and comforting. Take a deep breath, relax.
- Years go by in the blink of an eye. Live your life. Do things. Travel. Pack a bag and go wherever you can afford to go. See the world. Look through travel magazines and pick a spot. GO!
- Don’t take life so seriously. Even if things seem dark and hopeless, try to find the laughter.
- A true friend will come running if you call them, regardless of the time. Try to be a true friend.
- Children grow up way too fast. Make the most of the time you have with them.
Authored By: Suhadee Henriquez, LCSW